©Copyright 2014 by Bradley J. Steiner – ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.All of the content of this web site is protected by copyright.
No one may reproduce, copy, record, store, or otherwise dis-
seminate or make use of, in a public or private venue, ANY-
THING that appears on this site, without written permis-
sion of the copyright owner. Copyright violation is investi-
gated by the FBI and is a federal offense.
Editorial For December 2014
13 Reasons Why Control Holds Are Not Recommended For Self-Defense
WHETHER “police comealong” and restraining type holds, or the popularized competition “submission” type holds, these types of techniques are not recommended for self-defense or for military close combat employment.
Getting right to the chase, here are thirteen reasons why we take the position that we do take:
1. Contrasted with blows of the hands and feet, holds of all kinds take a much longer time to apply.
2. Even a relatively unskilled individual who reacts quickly and aggressively when the attempt to apply a control hold on him is made, can counter the hold and seriously injure the person who is trying to apply it.
3. Fine motor movements (and a highly developed set of them) are required by the applicant of any control hold, rendering such holds nearly impossible to apply in serious combat, when fine motor movements are all but impossible to render.
4. Nearly all holds (strangulation and choke holds being one conspicuous exception) rely upon pain compliance —— a completely subjective phenomenon. In combat one’s threshold of pain goes through the roof, and besides, some individuals (on drugs, drunk, or insane) feel practically no pain. Stopping a dangerous foe in close combat requires massively shocking his central nervous system and/or suddenly and drastically interfering with his breathing.
5. Quality ju-jutsu instruction —— and any ju-jutsu teacher worthy of the name —— advocates first disorienting the opponent with a blow, and then applying whatever hold is desired. So —— a) Why use non decisive blows and waste time on an intermediate step so that a hold can be applied, and b) Why not just smash into your man with ongoing and decisive blows?
6. Clearly, one is placing oneself in a very vulnerable position when one attempts to apply a control hold if there is more than a single attacker. And, quality training in self-defense and close combat must condition the student to assume that he will be defending/battling against more than a single enemy —— even if he does not see more than one opponent, initially.
7. Knives are commonly carried and used by street garbage. Attempting to close-in with and apply a hold against an opponent who has a knife (quite possibly that you are not aware of his possessing) is suicide.
8. Law enforcement officers do have a legitimate need for control holds. But that is because their job requires them, in many instances, to take the risk that goes with assuming a given individual poses no serious threat, but that he merely wishes to pull away or be stubbornly uncooperative. That is not a situation that anyone faces in a self-defense or close combat emergency —— in war or in peacetime.
9. For the private citizen: It is possible that if you do apply a control hold —— because you foolishly respond to an annoying pest (as opposed to an attacker) —— you could be arrested for kidnapping!
10. Applying a hold on a less-than-serious opponent (whom you should not bother with, but instead ignore or walk away from) could trigger escalation of the situation into a serious battle.
11. Blows will always at least disorient the recipient, paving the way for destructive followup (which is why, once again, blows are always advocated in good ju-jutsu, before applying a hold). Initiating a hold without such disorientation can actually stimulate the recipient into powerful aggressive action.
12. Psychologically, the “I’m only going to control this guy” and/or “I don’t want to hurt this guy too badly” DEFENSIVE mindset, is inappropriate to and contraindicated for successfully defending yourself or winning a hand-to-hand engagement in military combat.
13. Such real world factors as darkness, snow or rain, wearing gloves or mittens, cumbersome outerwear, etc. and so forth can often make the application of holds impossible —— even for an expert.
A question we sometimes hear:
“Isn’t your extremely aggressive and destructive method of self-defense and close combat a bit risky, considering that an attacker might not be all that dangerous?”
“Quite to the contrary! Not being extremely aggressive and destructive is more than a ‘bit’ risky; it can be a lethal mistake in any real attack!
“Any attacker who is ‘not all that dangerous’, or who is only halfhearted about attacking you, will be easily stopped by your first decisive action. He will freeze, run away, or be dropped (enabling you to escape). Then, of course, no further action on your part will be necessary. You can, as it were, “ratchet down”. However . . . you may never get the opportunity to ratchet up in time, if a non injurious first action on your part is insufficient to stop a would-be killer!”
Cops need some control hold training. Combatants should avoid it.
Bradley J. Steiner
What Are You Waiting For?
Get started in practical, realistic, no-nonsense self-defense now!
We offer an intensive Introductory Course (all private lessons) for new students.
Don’t wait until tragedy strikes and you end up wishing that you had learned how to protect yourself!
IF YOU LIVE IN THE GREATER SEATTLE AREA ENROLL FOR PERSONAL TRAINING.
THIS IS NOT A CONVENTIONAL “MARTIAL ARTS” PROGRAM. WE TEACH THE TOUGHEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE METHODS OF SELF-DEFENSE. OUR TRAINING COVERS THE FINEST, WAR-PROVEN TECHNIQUES, TACTICS, AND MENTAL CONDITIONING.
LEARN BEFORE YOU NEED IT. WHEN YOU ARE ATTACKED, IT’S TOO LATE.
(INTENSIVE COURSES AVAILABLE FOR OUT-OF-TOWNERS).
D o n’ t F o r g e t!:
To enjoy all of our articles and instructional pieces (new material added every few weeks), and to CHECK OUR “PUBLICATIONS” category often . . . we are constantly preparing new publications for training and instructional purposes!!!!
Super Mental Conditioning Through
You Can Train Your
Mind As Well As Your Body, With Our …
New And Exclusive Self-Hypnosis Programs!
(The Perfect Compliment to Our DVD Training Course!)
Mental Conditioning is at least 50% of what is required to be successful in close combat, hand-to-hand battle, and self-defense emergencies. And there is nothing so effective in conditioning the mind as HYPNOSIS. However, the hypnosis must be professionally rendered, and unless the hypnotist is a genuine expert in and authority on the specific field in which the subject is being assisted, he can be of very little help.
Prof. Steiner has been a State licensed hypnotherapist for more then 25 years. He has been immersed in the martial arts, weaponry, self-defense, personal suvival, and physical readiness fields for more than half a century! Now you can enjoy the finest self-hypnosis programs designed to condition the minds of students for all aspects of personal protection, combatives, and readiness!
There are 20 Complete Self-Hypnosis Programs available for shipment:
001 – “Fear Into Fury!” – Mastering Fear Energy
002 – Embedding the Combat Color Code
003 - Eliminating Your Fear of Being Physically Beaten
004 – “Warrior’s Heart” — Desensitize Yourself For Combat
005 – Tapping Into Your Vital Reserves
006 – Building The Determination to Prevail In Close Combat
007 – Become Attack Minded
008 – Develop An Instant-Violent-Response Capability
009 – Develop Ruthlessness For Self-Defense
010 – Sharpening Your Situational Awareness
011 - The Anticipatory Attitude – Overcoming Astonishment
012 – Developing Real Courage
013 – Build Confidence When Facing A “Tough Guy”
014 – Develop Coolness And Nerve in the Face of Danger
015 – Mastering The Ability to Take an Enemy by Surprise
016 – The Ready Mind: Becoming Convinced That It Reeally Can Happen To You
017 – Banishing The Fear of Bullies Forever
018 – Become Ready, Willing, And Able To Do Anything In Self-Defense
019 – Eliminating Hesitation and Becoming Decisive
020 – Raising Your Threshold of Pain
Each Program Is $25. Plus a $5. Shipping and Handling Fee. $12. for foreign orders.
And we are also making available a series of Combat Training Lectures, which enable you to gain information, insight, tips, suggestions, guidance, encouragement, and valuable instruction listening to professionally presented lectures on all subjects pertaining to close combat and self-defense. The first Lecture, Rules of Self-Defense, is ready for shipment.
Lecture A – Rules of Self-Defense
Complete on two quality CDs. One and a half hours you’ll want to listen to again and again for reference and inspiration in training!
This Lecture Is $30. Plus a $5. Shipping and Handling Fee. $12 for foreign orders.
Send cash or money order (payable to Brad Steiner) to:
P.O. Box 15929
Seattle, WA. 98115
The First and Only Complete Self-Defense and Close Combat Course in American Combato (Jen•Do•Tao) on High Quality DVDs!
Currently enrolled students at The Academy of Self-Defense in Seattle will be given a 10% discount if they purchase the 11-DVD Course!
Eleven carefully prepared professional instructional DVDs describe and demonstrate the most practical, powerful, reliable, and authentic skills of no-nonsense, realistic and war-proven unarmed and armed hand-to-hand combat methodology and personal defense developed since WWII! This Course, describing methods from that System developed in the early 1970’s by Bradley J. Steiner, which crystalized into the American Combato (Jen•Do•Tao)™ all-in modern close combat/self-defense martial art in 1975, will teach you how to defend yourself and those you love in any situation! Some of these methods have been copied, imitated, and pirated during the last 25+ years, but a complete self-defense course derived directly from the original and authentic System — the only authorized presentation of American Combato — is now available for home study. All of the techniques, all of the theory, and all of the mental conditioning and related doctrine in these DVDs is presented by the System’s originator, Prof. Bradley J. Steiner, himself. Like Fairbairn, Sykes, Applegate, O’Neill, Brown, Begala, and Biddle in the second world war — from whose lineage this modern Martial Art is a direct descendant — Prof. Steiner clearly, simply, and plainly instructs in real world, lifesaving combatives doctrine.
Not one sentence or one technique of that which is contained in this 11-DVD Course has been rehearsed or choreographed ahead of time. Everything you are taught and told has been done “live”, spontaneously, and in “real time” — so you are in effect receiving private, professional instruction directly from Professor Steiner just as you would if you were in his Studio, personally!
You can order any of the eleven DVDs individually, or you can purchase the entire Course, in which case you pay for only ten DVDs. You receive one FREE!
Each DVD contains the equivalent instruction normally given in four to eight private lessons. This Course is the equivalent of at least 50 private lessons with Prof. Steiner, personally! At the current cost of private lessons (i.e. $150. per lesson), you are receiving at least $7,500. worth of instruction! And you can review this instruction again and again, and save the DVDs for your children to study when they are old enough. You do not need a teacher to learn from this DVD Course. Everything is demonstrated carefully and slowly enough for you to learn; nothing is presented to “dazzle”, to “show off”, or to demonstrate “flash” and “sizzle”. Everything is geared to teaching you war-proven practical and reliable skills clearly and well.
DVD #1 FUNDAMENTALS
• How to stand, move, distance, and position yourself
• The combat color code
• Attack mindedness
• Evasive footwork
• How to shield
• “Fairbairn’s Four” —
The chinjab smash, the handaxe chop, the tiger’s claw, and the side kick. All clearly explained and demonstrated so that anyone with no prior experience in any martial art can understand and develop the skills! These are the first four of American Combato’s 16 Key Blows (originally regarded by W.E. Fairbairn as the “most essential” basic blows, comprising a complete mini-system of personal hand-to-hand combat, once mastered).
DVD#2 BASIC BLOWS
• Continuing from “Fairbairn’s Four”, this powerful presentation completes your lessons in the remaining 12 Key Blows — the most practical and effective blows — in unarmed close combat.
— The straight heelpalm
— The knee attack
— The front kick
— The elbow smash
— The fingertips thrust
— The fingertips jab
— The snap kick
— The backfist-forearm smash
— The hammerfist-forearm smash
— The basic straight punch
— The ear box
— The throat lock
DVD#3 ATTACK COMBINATIONS – FIRST SERIES
• Powerful and devastatingly effective combinations of attacking actions which are adaptable to an infinite number of situations and emergency circumstances. These attack combinations utilize the Key Blows, and include additional offensive unarmed combat actions and tactics. which enable you to infinitely combine, and improvise limitless sequences and applications of ferocious attacks of your own.
This DVD focuses on attack combinations leading with HANDAXE CHOPS and THRUSTING ACTIONS, the first two categories of “attack combinations” in American Combato.
In this and the next DVD you will learn more combinations of each type than you would ever possibly need.
DVD#4 ATTACK COMBINATIONS – SECOND SERIES
• Completing a well-balanced, comprehensive curriculum in vicious, unconventional, yet simple and readily applicable attacking sequences which enable the practitioner to overwhelm and disable any assailant. These combinations continue to expand your capability with the Key Blows and with other actions and tactics, and turn you into a dangerous, unpredictable, offensive combatant in close quarters combat. You’ll be an expert at taking the battle into the enemy’s camp and attacking your attacker!
This DVD trains you in DISTRACTING LEAD ATTACKS, KICKING LEADS, and MISCELLANEOUS LEADS.
DVD#5 COUNTERATTACKING THE UNARMED FRONTAL ASSAILANT
• No realistic close combat system is worthwhile unless the matter of counterattacking (i.e. reacting to attacks which you have been unable to preempt) is covered. In this DVD you will learn:
— How to immediately react with devastating and decisive
force against any grabbing type attack from the front
— How to break holds that attackers might apply if they catch
you off guard
— How very simply to counter punching or kicking attacks
DVD#6 COUNTERING THE UNARMED REAR ATTACK
• Attacks from behind are deadly. Learn first and foremost to guard against leaving access to your rear. However, if caught unaware, learn
— How to counter sudden grabbing attacks from behind
— How to counter holds that may be applied from behind
DVD#7 COUNTERING KNIFE AND CLUB ATTACKS
• The proper tactics and mental ploys applicable to these situations is emphasized. Technically, you will be taught
— How to deal with knife threats, from varying positions
— How to save your life if attack by an adversary who is
determined to slash or to stab you with a knife
— How to counter overhand club attacks
— How to counter the backhand club or baseball bat swing
DVD#8 COUNTERING HANDGUN AND SHOULDER WEAPON THREATS
• Obviously these, like knife and club attacks, are deadly threats and only the simplest, most basic and reliable methods should be studied. No weapon “takeaways” or complicated nonsense here! These are commando type actions and will work under the most adverse conditions. Intended to save lives — not your wallet.
— Frontal handgun threats
— Side handgun threats
— Rear handgun threats
— Frontal shoulder weapon threats
— Side shoulder weapon threats
— Rear shoulder weapon threats
DVD#9 COUNTERING MULTIPLE ATTACKERS
• Key principles and tactics of countering more than a single aggressor
• The core scenarios and how to develop counterattacking capabilities against two or more attackers that really work.
DVD#10 HOW TO USE THE STICK FOR SELF-DEFENSE
• Basic stick techniques
• The complete Fairbairn stick method (beyond what is taught in ALL-IN FIGHTING/GET TOUGH!)
• The United States Marine Corps’s Kengla Technique
• Some advanced stickwork combinations
• How to use the yawara hand stick (for modern applications)
• Psychological factors
• The universal grip (for stiletto and Bowie type knives, as well as for kitchen, utility, ad all other types of knives, and for improvised stabbing and cutting implements)
• Knife offense
• Defending yourself with a knife
The cost of each individual DVD is $59.95 + $6. shipping and handling ($20. postage and handling for foreign orders)
If you purchase the complete 11-DVD Course you pay only for 10 DVDs, bringing the total cost to $599.50. You get one DVD FREE. Add $20. for postage and handling ($40. for foreign orders). That’s just under $600. for $7,500. worth of training!
Personal checks may take up to four weeks to clear. For immediate shipment send cash, or a postal money order, certified bank check or bank money order, payable to Brad Steiner. Send your order to:
P.O. Box 15929
Seattle, Washington 98115
You will want to study these DVDs again and again, as they are rich in content and packed with solid, reliable information and instruction!
IT IS the mission and purpose of this Site to pursue and to disseminate the very best information and guidance for those who are interested in practical self-defense and close combat. We include ancillary and cognate disciplines, such as physical training, the use of hypnosis and other means of effecting proper levels of mental conditioning and all round total readiness. We also include review and discussion of published materials on all aspects of our subjects, and of related subjects — from all sources, worldwide: current and out of print.
It is also the purpose of this Site to provide authentic and reliable information about the System of close combat and martial art that we founded in 1975: American Combato (Jen•Do•Tao)™, and to inform visitors to this Site how to obtain bona fide, legitimate training in this Art. Additionally, we offer unique instructional materials and papers relevant to all general researches into and studies of self-defense and close combat.
While we certainly do have a serious commercial objective in presenting this Site, we are no less motivated by our lifetime love of and devotion to the subjects about which it deals. We therefore cordially welcome visitors who train in other schools and systems of martial art. So long as the individual has a deep interest in real world self-defense and in authentic methods of close combat, we are confident that he will enjoy and greatly benefit by visiting this Site regularly.
We respect all sincere, decent practitioners of all responsibly taught, legitimate martial arts. We do have our own ideas and convictions which we have arrived at over the last 50-plus years of dedication to what we do. We have no interest in converting antagonists; but we have found over the preceding decades that we have invariably gotten along extremely well with anyone who is seriously devoted to the combat arts for the same reasons that we are.
We have been a student of the martial arts (including weaponry) since the 1950’s. Among our personal teachers and close associates have been Col. Rex Applegate and Sgt. Charles (“Charlie”) Nelson. We have been a devotee of sensible weight training since the early 1960’s. We have been a student of hypnosis for more than 40 years, and have been a state licensed hypnotherapist for 22 years — with our specialty being the mental conditioning of combat students and physical trainees (for which we have been recognized as a “Fellow in Clinical Hypnotherapy”). In 1975 we founded the American Combato (Jen•Do•Tao) System of self-defense and close combat, which is today recognized internationally. We have a background in intelligence and in protective services (“bodyguarding”). We have written more than two dozen books and 1,000 magazine articles during the last 40 years on our various subjects. We have been writing and publishing a limited-circulation monthly Journal (Close Quarters: The Professional Journal of Ungentlemanly Warfare) for nearly nine years. We have trained SWAT officers, patrol officers, military elites (U.S. Marines, SEALs, and Army Special Forces), bodyguards, investigators, spies, and security personnel of all types. We have also trained the elderly, the very young, and the handicapped. We are Founder, President, and CEO of the International Combat Martial Arts Federation. We are former Washington State Director of the American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, and we are President of the International Stick and Knife Fighting Association, in Berlin, Germany. We have been personally certified by the late Col. Rex Applegate to teach his and W.E. Fairbairn’s methods.
We feel that after more than half a century of all this we have something worthwhile to offer.
Welcome to our Site! Please tell others about it, and visit here often!
Prof. Bradley J. Steiner